Re: [CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion
From: "Lee Hiers" <lee.hiers@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:07:30 -0400
On 6/28/06, Art Boyars <art.boyars@verizon.net> wrote:

> Me:  "QSL, thank you!"
>
> Them:  "Roger and thank you and 73's ... uhhh ... QRZed Field Day ...."
>
> And on and on.  They were running people, but for every QSO they had the
> answering station go first.  What a teaching opportunity!

Yes....I'll often take that opportunity to take the frequency...for
teaching purposes, mind you!

Me:  "QSL QRZ AA4GA"

> I think the intent is to maintain the "emergency exercise" spirit of FD, and
> I agree.  From my Observation #1, I suggest that Class D stations should also
> not be allowed to solicit contacts ("call CQ", in the vernacular).  Even
> beyond maintaining the spirit of FD,

I disagree that calling CQ by a class D station is against the
"spirit" of the event.  Even during emergency operations, there are
usually fixed stations operating as net controls, etc.  Also, there
are *many* portable club operations put on by people who are not
contesters, and don't understand, or are fearful of, CQing, and only
S&P

I think that without this rule change, a few dozen big Class D
operations could turn FD into their own NAQP, just without the
multipliers.

> What do you think?
>
> 73, Art K3KU

Lee Hiers, AA4GA