Re: [CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion

To: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:16:15 -0500 (CDT)
Although FD is not supposed to be a contest, as I mentioned before, it's
what you make it to be.  I have always noticed the difference between the
contesters working FD and the ops who are not contesters. It's rather
dramatic. A lot of contesters get out and have fun on FD. I've done so for
most of my 39+ years in ham radio.

FD gives the opportunity for hams who are not contesters or who have been
inactive to get some familiarity with the contesting environment.  There
can be no doubt of that. I see that as a good thing, even if FD "isn't a
contest."

We have had at least a couple people in my area become more interested in
contesting as a result of FD. They have to be Elmered into accepted
operating procedures. I heard a lot of "pse copy ..." and even one "please
copy ..." on CW.  No big deal to me. At least they're trying!

73, Zack W9SZ