Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Radios

To: John Geiger <w5td@lcisp.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Radios
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:36:34 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, John Geiger wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> A couple of questions here:
>
> 2. How is the TS850 overall-compared to the FT1000 and such?  I hear that it
> is a great contest radio, and they are appearing at very nice prices today.
> Just wish they had 6 meters in them.
>
> 73s John W5TD

I own an 850 and I have used an FT1000MP owned by my fellow contester
NO9Z.  The 1000MP has more features but they are both great contesting
radios.  I love the 850 and consider it the most "bang for the buck" that
you can get these days.  I paid $900 for mine in brand-new condition, but
I've seen them go for as little as $650.

The TS850 is a bit difficult to tame when using with transverters.  Down
East Microwave makes a kit called TIB-850 which does an excellent job of
interfacing the 850 to transverters without rig modification.

73, Zack W9SZ