Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Final Score

To: Contest Reflector <CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Final Score
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:11:23 -0400
Mark Steven Williams wrote:
> I was just looking over the WRTC results and it struck me what
> excellent "performers" the members of the 46 teams truly are. It's
> incredible to realize that even the 46th place team made over 4,000
> QSOs in 24 hours!

Hi Mark - Sorry to bust your bubble, but I think you're looking at the
QSO points column, not the QSO column.  The winner (VE3EJ/VE7ZO) had
2369 QSO's.

> What I find is even more amazing is the
> astoundingly low error rates. PW5I (ZS4TC/N2IC) finished with an
> astonishing 1.3% error rate.

Thanks for noticing !  Bernie and I considered it the consolation prize !

> That's 70 or so busted calls or
> exchanges in 7,000 QSOs while sitting at the rig for 24 hours!

Well, actually about 21 busts in ~1630 QSO's.

> If you haven't yet done so, I urge you to find a copy of the final
> results spread sheet. Just analysing the various band/mult totals is
> a fascinating study. Download it, print it out and study it
> carefully.
>
> Scan the "errors" column. Wow! I wonder if there was a "lowest UBN"
> award? There should be.

Yes there was, but it went to the the ES5TV/ES2RR team. The fine print
in the competitor rules said that you had to be in the top-20 to win the
UBN award. I guess they figured that those of us below #20 were just
sandbagging our QSO rate it to improve our UBN :) .

> While it's a bit trite, I must say "congratulations" to the 92 World
> Class operators, the referees who had to endure the IARU without
> making a single Q and PY5EG and his excellent crew for what must have
> been an amazing event.

Yes, it was a great event  The PY crew, along with the world-class
referree and judging crew put on a spectacular show !

73,
Steve, N2IC