[CQ-Contest] MFJ/Hygain RBD 5

To: "Contest Reflector" <CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] MFJ/Hygain RBD 5
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@n4gn.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 05:47:32 +0100
Contesters,

At Dayton I purchased the MFJ/Hygain RBD 5 Rotator Brake Delay kit. The week
prior to IARU I installed it in my T2X controller. On the bench not connected
to the rotator it performed per the instructions and spec sheet. That is, the
delay circuit held a relay which released about 6 seconds after letting go of
the direction control and brake release front panel switches. All seemed ok on
the workbench.

Once the rotator was connected it was quite a different story. At first I
thought the delay circuit was not disengaging. While getting the shack ready
for IARU I played around with the rotator a bit and determined that the relay
was disengaging...but about 7 MINUTES after letting go of the front panel
switches. So currently I have an F12 C4EXL, 25 foot mast and 7 element F12 6
meter yagi free wheeling for 6 or 7 minutes after releasing the rotor control
switches.

MFJ has been unresponsive. Their first response was "jeez we've never had that
happen before"

I've asked them to replace the kit. No response. I've asked them for
engineering help with a solution. No response.
So, I have a couple of questions for you.

Has anyone else purchased and installed one of these? If so, how is it working
for you?

Anybody have a contact at MFJ who understands customer service?

Yes, the kit is installed and wired correctly. I have approximately 240 feet of
rotator cable between the shack and rotator shelf.

This kit came with hardware which did not match the parts list, the spacers
don't match so one of the 3 "legs" the board is mounted on is short. In other
words, Mighty Fine Junk. Caveat Emptor.

Any wisdom or insight you can provide is appreciated.

73, Mark, K9GX