Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rules for HQstnsin IARUcontest

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rules for HQstnsin IARUcontest
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 17 Jul 2006 10:13:45 -0500
On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 07:43, Mario, S56A wrote:
> Threshold might be just 3 different HQ stations and USA can work W1AW, NU1AW
> and VE3RAC easily.
> EU stations would have much wider choice.

I was thinking a larger threshold but allowing contacts with non-HQ
stations to count towards the threshold.  But your method might work
too.

> Quoting 5B4AGN on IARU - What have we here, a contest or a flag waving
> party?

<grin>...  If the situation is as described, then it does appear
something needs to be done.  But you need to be careful about unintended
effects.  The geographic situation in the USA and Japan is VERY
different from what it is in Europe.

I just launched the spreadsheet & did the analysis on the W1AW/4 logs.
If own-country QSOs were prohibited, we would have gone from:

8,984 QSOs      to      2,475
299 multipliers to      264
6,881,186 pts.  to      2,807,112

On 160 meters, we'd have gone from 378 QSOs to 26.  On 10 meters, from
644 QSOs to 38.  Simply devastating.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66