Re: [CQ-Contest] XML for real-time score reporting

To: Bruce Horn <bhorn@hornucopia.com>,Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] XML for real-time score reporting
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for your reply.  I'm reluctant to waste
everybody's time with follow up questions, but I will
this one time in case there are a few others who are
just learning about this too.

--- Bruce Horn <bhorn@hornucopia.com> wrote:

> reporting. This web page is not meant to provide
> users with instructions on
> how to use report scores in real time - we're not
> ready for that yet.

OK...got it.

> However, it's
> proprietary, it is not designed to be incorporated
> into a variety of
> logging software, it only works with one centralized
> reporting point and it
> will not scale well.

I think all software is proprietary to a
non-programmer like me.  On the other hand, W2EV and
his programmer partner do appear to be responsive to
constructive criticism, which I have sent them on
several occasions.  Hopefully, having the ear of the
developers will be as effective as contributing my own
code.

I do understand the benefits of coming up with a
standard that will permit logging software authors to
provide a method of reporting contest scores to one or
more websites that offer live score reporting.  In my
limited exposure to W2EV's system last weekend I can
tell you that I found it to be a powerful motivator.

> As a user, you won't need to understand XML, DTDs or
> any of the inner
> workings to use score reporting systems based on the
> standard. The messy
> details will be hidden by your logging software and
> the scoreboard(s).

So the details will eventually come from the logging
software developers, N1MM in my case.  Got it.

> If you're interested in learning more about XML,
> there are many books on
> the subject.

I have a basic knowledge of HTML, and understand that
XML greatly extends its capabilities.  I think my
chance to contribute will come when developers look
for feedback from users.  I'll wait until then.

Thanks again Bruce,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS