Re: [CQ-Contest] KC7V's SECOND lesson

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KC7V's SECOND lesson
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:17:56 +0000
W0UN wrote:
> I am very glad to hear that Mike, KC7V, is doing much better after
> his medical emergency with pulmonary embolus, associated with
> his flight from Brazil.
>
> ...there is also a secondary lesson that should
> be mentioned.  Our hobby of radio contesting is not all that much
> different from extended airline flights.
>
> Even ideas of an operating table with a hydraulic lift come to mind.
> Anything that would force some sort of regular change of position
> to help minimize the possibility of blood clots.

I don't operate SO2R, so I don't know how well this would work for
"real" contesters, but I have a cardboard box that I place on top of the
operating desk when I'm running stations.  I only need to place the
keyboard on top of it and stand up.  I use electronic QSK, no
footswitches, etc., so about the only other thing I need to reach is my
keyer paddle or the RIT knob from time to time.  It's a great change of
pace, change of position, and it helps keep me awake.  My headphone cord
is so long that I can even walk around the shack while the CQ is
running, or stick my head out into the living room to see how the Red
Sox are doing....

Bud, W2RU