Re: [CQ-Contest] KC7V's SECOND lesson

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KC7V's SECOND lesson
From: Chris Pedder <chris@g3vbl.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:42:28 +0000
Every year I make four long-haul flights to Asia and DVT is a growing
concern. As well as all the usual things, fluids and the like, I wear
'flight socks' and try to walk around about every hour.

It's difficult to know how effective these socks are but, if nothing
else, they do greatly reduce the swelling in the feet. It's possible
to put shoes back on after a 12 or 13 hour flight without too much of
a struggle.

Exercising by walking around is becoming increasingly difficult as
airlines 'modernise' their fleets. The (Taiwanese) airline I use has
recently changed from 747s to 777-300ERs and there is now virtually
no 'free' space in which to walk around.... it's seats everywhere.
There is too much concentration on entertainment systems and too
little on passenger comfort/safety. I wouldn't dare to contemplate
some of the non-stop 18 or 19 hour flights from the East Coast to SE Asia.

Before I became a 'semi-retired contester' (Thank you Mr
Kratzer  :-)) I found that plenty of fluids, exercising by standing
up and sitting down, as well as playing football with the footswitch,
all helped.

Chris G3VBL

I suspect that DVT is less likely to prove fatal than flying with
some of the airlines I'm forced to use.... Air Mandalay, Yangon
Airways, Lao Airlines!