Re: [CQ-Contest] 1973 CW SS

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1973 CW SS
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:02:06 -0700
> Recently, K5TR received a reel-to-reel tape of my operation in the 1973 SS
> CW contest while operating at W6DGH (now N6AA).  I had just turned 19 and
> this was probably my first SS with a "real" station (KWS-1, 204BA, SB-101
> and SB-220).
>
> George sent me a CD - and it was painful to listen to - [snip]

Ditto here - I got my hands on the station at W0EEE at Univ of Mo - Rolla as
a freshman.  SB301/401/220, CL-36 at 100' or so and wires.  I was sharing
with WB9FSL, WA0RAD, WA0ACF, and others.  Probably a REALLY good thing there
was no recorder during my shifts.  I remember being pretty amazed at the
capability of K7JA/W7RM (...Radio Macaroni on the phone weekend...) and
W6OAT/WA7NIN.  Yikes.  About the time you think you get the hang of these
things, there are half a dozen guys blowing your doors off as they whiz by
:-)

73, Ward N0AX