[CQ-Contest] Used Rig Query for New Contestor

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Used Rig Query for New Contestor
From: N6KI Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki_73@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:42:38 -0700
Hi All,

A ham friend ( Loren AD6ZJ ) asked me to recommend a rig as he is just
getting into contesting.
His code speed is barely good enough for S&Ping right now but he's working
on it.
He does do SSB contests.

Would like opinions as to what rigs meet his requirements - IF ANY !!!

I have already advised him that I don't recommend DVKs that are already
built into
rigs or offered as an option

The only rig I can think of that would be in his price range of under $1000
might be an older  FT-1000MP but as I recall, most people who
got rid of the FT-1000Ds to buy the original MPs had many complaints and
went back to their 1000Ds !

If $1000  is not enough than how much would he have to lay out - $1500?

Normally in the under $1000 category I would recommend a Kenwood TS-850SAT
but that does not
meet his roofing filter and DSP option ....

73, Dennis N6KI
Sandy Eggo

----------

Loren AD6ZJ  writes :

Dennis,
I have decided I need something more than a mobile
radio for contesting...

I want something with a good roofing filter, built in
DSP, built in DVK that will cover all the HF bands in
CW and SSB. I would rather not get a rig that has a
wide open front end for AM and FM.

Without breaking the bank, what rig(s) would you
recommend I look into?

I was looking at the TS2000 as a posible. Older ones
show up on Ebay for about $1000 or so but there are so
many versions I don't know what I should get...