Re: [CQ-Contest] Potential Hosts for WRTC #6

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, "WRTC 2006" <wrtc2006@wrtc2006.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Potential Hosts for WRTC #6
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:00:54 -0700
Hi Igor,

The Sanctioning Committee is a group that comes from the previous WRTC
Organizing Committees.  (K7SS, N0AX - 1990; W6OAT, K3EST - 1996, S50A
- 2000, OH2BH - 2002, and now PY5EG - 2006)  After the first WRTCs, it
became clear that there needed to be some way to "pass the torch" in
an organized way.  The solution was to have those most closely
associated with the event - the organizers - act as a team to both
find the next hosts and help the new organizing committee define the
event.  Each successive host committee adds a member to the committee,
some of the previous ones drop out, and here we are.

The committee is relatively informal. Our goal is to help the next
WRTC come into being and to provide some wisdom about the event to the
next hosts.  As WRTC grows in importance to contesters and Amateur
Radio, we are also defining the essential elements of WRTC. In past
WRTCs, there has been a lot of discussion as the new committee helps
WRTC evolve, adding new features and improving the processes for
selection and judging.  We are not a "steering committee" with veto
power over the next event, but we do provide advice and make
suggestions, mostly accepted, and always in the spirit of making WRTC
better.

I wish we were more like the International Olympic Committee so that
potential hosts would fly us to exotic locations for fancy dinners and
demonstrations, but that remains only a dream :-)

It has been an honor for me to be associated with these guys and to
see WRTC grow to become an exceptional international event.

73, Ward N0AX