Re: [CQ-Contest] A proposal

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A proposal
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:13:13 -0500 (CDT)
Oh boy, I can just see the flames now...

Jim, the short answer is that:
(a)  There is no LEGAL restriction preventing a contest on the WARC bands, but
(b)  Accepted VOLUNTARY amateur practice has been to not have contests on them.

Why?  A number of reasons:
-- The bands themselves are so narrow as to effectively prevent a contest
situation from taking over the entire band.
-- In the beginning of each WARC band, not all governments permitted their
amateurs to operate on the bands, or imposed power or other restrictions.  This
was neccesary as the former services using the bands moved out.  So until
relatively recently, not everyone had access to the bands, putting some
theoretically at a disadvantage
-- And probably most importantly, by designating the WARC bands as "contest
free," those who do not wish to participate in a given contest (especially one
of the majors) have an alternative band to go to.

And I'm sure others will come up with more reasons, these are just off the top
of my head.  (The expense of outfitting or retro-fitting a major contest
station for 3 more bands, including the potential inter-mod problems, comes to
mind too).

Suffice to say, I think someone making a serious proposal nowadays for a WARC
related contest will have their head handed to them.  In bloody little pieces.
People get upset when the notion is even broached.

Now, if the day ever comes that we can get the WARC bands expanded (yes, I
know, dream on), to say 300 - 400 kHz wide each, then we can talk about
contesting on them.  But for now?  That proposal will sink like an innocent
wench accused of witchcraft in Salem in the 1600's!

73, ron w3wn