Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Catagories

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Catagories
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:16:21 -0700
George, K5TR, wrote:

> If on the other hand you get on and try to produce the best result you
> can in the contest [then] I think you will do better and might even have
> fun during while you are doing it.

Sage advice.

I think it was Dave, W6NL, who mentioned at an NCCC meeting, that the "Little
Pistol Contest Ops/Stations" should keep plugging away with what they've got
and work to improve their skills & scores.  And, that some of the Multi-Op
SuperStation owners might be "scouting" them as potential Multi-Multi team
operator additions.  Ya just never know.

For me, it's using this pee-poor QTH & antennas to "practice, practice,
practice" while I work on plans for a Remote Station or QSYing to a killer
Contest QTH.  The weekly NCCC "NS" is a great way to "practice, practice,
practice", even if you only have 100w & a dipole or vertical (
http://www.ncccsprint.com  ).

Think ***BEYOND*** your present circumstances, and focus on improving your
***SKILLS*** (my goal is to lessen the number of times I push the "wrong
button" and send CQ back in a guy's face instead of the Exchange, or request to
repeat the serial number :-)   Continue to dream of better days (& bigger
station), because dreams can come true...but ya also gotta plan & work at
making them happen.

Maybe consider joining forces with a couple of local ham pals you like hanging
out with, and go in together to rent, lease or buy a better Contesting
location...even if you have to operate out of a tent.  It will also give you
something to do while the Sunspot Cycle is near the pits!

73...

Rick, K6VVA