Re: [CQ-Contest] Bencher Paddles & Customs/TSA

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Bencher Paddles & Customs/TSA
From: "Steve London" <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:45:35 -0600
I always take my Bencher paddle carry-on to prevent damage, and yes,
security people always ask questions.  So what ?  They ask what it is.  I
tell them it's for sending Morse Code. Sometimes they swab it.  Sometimes
they don't. Then they let me go.  Never takes more than 2 or 3 minutes.
What's the big deal ?

On my recent trip to WRTC-2006 in Brasil, I took all cables, adapters,
accessories, paddles, etc. in a single carry-on bag.  It was totally stuffed
with bizarre looking stuff.  Except for DFW, getting through security never
took more than 3 minutes.  DFW took about 10 minutes of swabbing.  No big
deal.  I feel better that they actually are seriously checking funny-looking
items.

73,
Steve, N2IC