Re: [CQ-Contest] Bencher Paddles & Customs/TSA

To: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Bencher Paddles & Customs/TSA
From: Chris Hurlbut <c_hurlbut@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:12:44 -0700
Well... it's not always a big deal.

I flew from Pullman, WA once out east to do a contest.  The security
guys at the little Pullman airport are notoriously picky.  I had my
W9WBL V22 in my carry on, and they checked it.  No big deal, easy.  Well
they got all bent out of shape and didn't believe me.  They didn't allow
it because it was "questionable" and it was heavy enough that it could
be used as a weapon if I threw it.  My options were to either leave it
there and have them throw it away, or have someone pick it up right now.

I argued as long as I could, and they finally won.  Luckily I managed to
find someone who was still in town that would pick it up for me at the
airport.

I think that was the last time I flew out of Pullman.

Maybe I just look kind of shady?

-Chris KL9A