Re: [CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]

To: "'Radiosporting Fan'" <radiosporting@yahoo.com>,<CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:44:34 -0500
Ev,

I may be mistaken, but I recall that you became actively involved in
contesting relatively recently.

Some of your comments cause me to think that my recollection may be true.

The categories that exist today were in large part created by operators -
not the contest sponsors. The contest sponsors, due to pressure from
operators have added most of the categories in response to operator demand -
not the way you describe.

It used to be, before my time, that there only was single op. Then we got
multi-op, then multi-multi, multi-single, high, low, QRP, single band, etc.

I think I was involved in some of the earliest Multi-2 operations that would
have been multi-2 by today's rules which caused the ARRL to create the
Multi-2 category. CQ followed a couple of years later based on the success
of Multi-2 in ARRL contests.

Part of arriving at the party late is that you may not know that what you
think should be done - was in fact already done - and had led to what the
party looks like now.

73,

Bob W5OV