Re: [CQ-Contest] I shouldnt be complaining but..

To: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] I shouldnt be complaining but..
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:35:09 -0500
At 10:10 AM 9/17/2006, you wrote:

>Guess I'm an OOTC, too.
>
>EGREGIOUS has always meant distinguished or eminent to me.  Guess all that
>"egregious" Latin in my teen years is too blame.
>
>Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW

(Contest Relevant Info (???) included!  Barely.)

Jon--

I had four years of Latin as well -- 1959-1962 -- with the
Jesuits.  I credit them with
teaching me how to think, AND giving me a (declining, along with my
age) vocabulary!

My reply was really meant ONLY as a friendly jab to Lew, with whom I
have not recently
communicated.  I meant it only as a "hello"!  I can get away with
this because I consider
Lew a friend!

But in all honesty, MY Latin WAS egregious (as in extremely or
conspicuously bad).

Isn't it fascinating how the meaning of words evolves over the years.

And now "Red Hot Chili Peppers" means torture!     ;-)

And speaking of chili peppers, if you need some to keep you awake in a
CONTEST you can try different peppers -- where hotness is measured on
the Scoville scale.  It is not expressed in dB but probably should be!  Just
one more bit of trivia for the trivia deprived.

http://www.epicurean.com/articles/hot-peppers.html

One of many interesting reference sites.

--John  W0UN

EGREGIOUS  --  www.dictionary.com

1.  Extraordinary is some BAD way; glaring; flagrant.

2.  ARCHAIC. distinguished or eminent.

EGREGIOUS --  American Hertitage dictionary

1.  Conspiciously bad or offensive.

EGREGIOUS --  Merriam-Webster

1)  extremely or conspicuously bad

EGREGIOUS -- Wordnet

1)  Conspicuously and outrageously bad, or reprehensible.