Re: [CQ-Contest] Defining CQ's Operating Time

To: mike l dormann <w7dra@juno.com>, <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Defining CQ's Operating Time
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 9:24:33 -0500
Many contests specify "listening time counts as operating time."

Certainly, any transmitting done in an attempt to score contacts also
counts as operating time.

The main reason that listening rule exists is for contests where operators
are allowed only a percentage of the total time (24 hours in SS, for
example) and it is intended to incorporate the skill of time management
into the overall effort, as an operator can't leave the receiver on and cherry
pick the best times and still abide by the rules. The net effect is to attempt
to assure those operators who need a break that others will also turn off
the radio and go to sleep...

Once, at WB0O, that rule came back to bite me and may have cost me a
spot in the HP Top Ten in SS Phone. I had a few bad hours early Sunday
that would have been better to have blown off so that I could continue a
really good run Sunday evening. I finished just shy of 2000 Qs. At the rate I
was running when the 24 started flashing on the logging screen, I
probably could have upped that to 2200. But rules are rules and in the
spirit of sportsmanship, I do not intend to complain. I screwed up and I
paid the price. As it should be.

73, kelly
ve4xt

<w2ev@yahoo.com>