Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 06 Oct 2006 11:19:32 -0500
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 09:20, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> Why make the category "Deed restricted?"  There has been a lot
> of complaining that it is impossible for new contesters to
> compete with the "big boys" for many reasons ... big antennas,
> SO2R, etc., etc.,  Why not simply make the classes "basic" and
> "unlimited"?

Fully agreed, though either way I don't think adding categories is going
to make a whole lot of difference.  People have won awards by working a
single QSO but in a contest of non-trivial length that doesn't sound
like much fun...  (and it sure isn't a whole lot of good for the rest of
us!)

I wonder how many young people are exposed to amateur radio, get
interested - and promptly lose interest when Mom says "there's no way
you're putting an antenna on my house!"?  If said kid knew they could
bum a ride to the W1XYZ Podunk ARC club station & operate, maybe that
interest wouldn't disappear after all?

IMHO every city of significant size should have at least one club
station with all-band HF capability.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66