Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction

To: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction
From: Charles Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:09:04 -0400
I think another BIG issue with the decline in contesting is frankly
that ALL hobbies are declining

If you look, Americans are working MORE hours per week, and more
families have 2 working parents than in the heyday of contesting

We simply have less free time - every year

For instance - I leave for work at 6:00am - get home at 5:30 - then I
cook dinner, because my wife won't get home until 6:30.  By the time I
help the kids with their homework, and other daily chores, it's
8:30-9:00

Then on the weekends, you have to fit in all the other things you
couldn't do during the week - that is IF your not working

Frankly fitting a specific 48hr block of time is a laugh - yeah RIGHT.
 Fitting in 24 hrs for Field day is hard enough

12hours for a QSO party MIGHT be do-able a couple of times a year

Of course, once your older, your kids are off on their own etc, you
have more free time - any wonder why the serious contesters are in the
50s and 60s?

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!