Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: <cq-contest-bounces@contesting.com>,"'N7MAL'" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: "dsthill" <dsthill@cbcbarbados.bb>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:46:58 -0400
First let me say that I did not operate on 40m during this CQ WW SSB contest
but this discussion is one I'm very interested in.

Here in Barbados and I suspect in a few other countries, we're licensed to
transmit any mode on any band except 30m, which only allows for digital
modes.

Unlike the US, where each class of licencee is allowed specific segments,
there are no "segments" as such.

Personally I tend to follow "practice" and simply use the Region II IARU
band-plan as a guide. I believe I've had to transmit down at say 7030KHz SSB
in contests before and almost always feel it's a little low in the band.

This year, I was SOSB on 20m and during the day when EU is open, it's common
practice for ops in the Caribbean to drop below the US phone band and use
say 14125 to 14150KHz. This year, on day 1, I ran stations between the
digital stations somewhere around 14113 -- and there were several stations
below me down past 14100.

I'm not sure what's happening -- whether there are simply more stations on
during contests compared to the past or that 20m and 40m are now the "money"
bands for the big-guns given the current (lack of) propagation.

It's an interesting debate and this year, I also thought there were stations
much much lower on 80m. I heard US stations listening down below 3600KHz,
which I would say is really really low -- I believe if I'm working split to
US on 80, I'll transmit somewhere between say 3650 and 3750 KHz.

Interestingly, on 20m, where there were wall to wall signals during most of
the the times the band was open, there were still three or four nets running
-- I was amazed that they could hear each other, but presumably they were
using high power and had excellent propagation between the net members--
(read down the street from each other - hi hi )

Anyway thanks to everyone for the challenge. 20m was tough this year. I felt
bruised at the end of it all. So did my score.

Regards,

Dean - 8P6SH / 8P2K in the 'tests