Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: CQ-Contest Contest <CQ-CONTEST@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:43:22 -0500
On Oct 29, 2006, at 12:33 AM, N7MAL wrote:

> It is 0330Z Sat evening and between 7040 and 7062 it is a virtual
> wasteland.
> 5T1 on 7040 and then nothing until a VE7 on 7062. Very few signals,
> mostly
> CW. A check of cluster spots also confirms this wasted space. Yet
> P40W who
> is an American ham is going strong on 7016, plus a fist-fight
> between some
> CW guys, one of whom is defending P40W.
> It's just not the CW portion getting destroyed on 40 but also the
> upper
> portion of the SSB segment. 40 meters in this particular contest
> has become
> a free-for-all for contesters without regard to anyone or anything
> else.
> There has to be boundaries established, and enforced, by the contest
> committee. Just because you go to P40 or PJ2 or wherever doesn't
> give you a
> birthright to a clear frequency at the expense of people who are not
> interested in our contest.
> The abuse of 40 meters in this contest is unconscionable by any
> standards
> and is precisely why people who are not contesters hate us so much.

        A little bit of comparison here from a sponsor.

        The PAQSO  specifies (suggests) frequencies and specifically notes
that 5 KHz below these frequencies is reserved for mobiles. It is
apparently routinely ignored.  There are other frequency rules for
the party at:

http://www.nittany-arc.net/paqsorules.htm

        Enforcement is a tricky issue however. Do I DQ someone on another's
say-so? Or do I forgo the party myself, and play frequency cop? (the
answer to both questions is no)

        If someone provides me with good evidence, I'll act on it.

> The abuse of 40 meters in this contest is unconscionable by any
> standards
> and is precisely why people who are not contesters hate us so much.

Agreed, although it isn't just this contest.....

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -