Re: [CQ-Contest] new 75 m privileges

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] new 75 m privileges
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@hughes.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:17:42 -0500
At 07:29 AM 11/9/2006, Mike K9MI wrote:
>When they open the flood gates, and phone is extended to 3600 is the 80m
>novice band protected under this plan? If so, my mistake, but I don't
>remember seeing it.

The results of the FCC action will eliminate the Novice bands on 80-40-15-10m.
Novices (and Technicians with 5wpm) will be allowed to operate in the General
CW bands.
On 80m that means 3525 to 3600.
So expect all classes of license there, plus CW nets, and all digital modes.
It may turn out to be as much of a problem as 40m CW can be (but with no
broadcast stations).
The first "real" test of the changes may not come until the ARRL DX contests.

A summary article is at: http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/10/11/100/
An FAQ with band charts is here:
http://www.arrl.org/announce/regulatory/wt04-140/faq.html

           -- Tom

BTW, a few people have been straying away from contesting topics.   There are
1200 people on the cq-contest reflector so let's try to keep the discussions a
bit more focused.