Re: [CQ-Contest] new 75 m privileges

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] new 75 m privileges
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@hughes.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:23:58 -0500
At 07:08 PM 11/9/2006, Dale Putnam/WC7S wrote:
>Hmmm... I must be confused. The proposal I saw, listed cw as legal from 3.5 to
>4.0 and the whole of 40,20,15.... and so on.
>It said CW and.... for the entire band.   Where did I go wrong?

The message I sent included references with the details.
A summary article is at: http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/10/11/100/
An FAQ with band charts is here:
http://www.arrl.org/announce/regulatory/wt04-140/faq.html

It isn't a proposal at this point.  It is what the FCC decided and will take
effect as early as a month from tomorrow  (30 days after publication in the
Federal Register which hasn't happened yet).

Most of the impact of the changes will be on 75/80m.

If you have an Extra Class license you will be able to use CW from 3500 to 4000
as you can today.  Digital will have to be below 3600.    SSB/image will be
legal from 3600 to 4000.

What I said is that current Novice and Tech+ licensees will be allowed to
operate in the General CW band, which will be 3525 to 3600 (OK, technically
Generals will be able to use CW from 3800 to 4000 but that'll probably be all
SSB - and Novice and Tech+ will not be able to operate there)   Advanced Class
licensees will be able to operate CW/digital from 3525 to 3600, and 3700-4000
will probably all be SSB.

I think there will be significant incentive for Generals to upgrade to Extra.
Whenever the FCC deals with the requests to drop CW as a requirement, you'll
see another surge in upgrades - from Technician to General as a start.   This
should come in the next year - and will also impact HF contesting - perhaps
initially just SSB contesting.

             -- Tom