Re: [CQ-Contest] Quick Question

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Quick Question
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:08:37 -0800
> The SS rules say that spotting assistance is allowed for multi-ops.  Does
> this mean general use of the packet cluster, or an op on a second radio?

Using the spotting networks to send and receive spots is just fine in the M
category - subject to the following two rules from the General Rules at
http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-all.html.

3.10.The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example,
Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the contest
period is not permitted.

3.14.In contests where spotting nets are permissible, spotting your own
station or requesting another station to spot you is not permitted.

This is not in the General Rules (perhaps it should be) but you're not
supposed to solicit QSOs (or anything that leads someone to make a QSO with
you, such as subtle hints, nudge-and-a-wink, know what I mean?) on any band
or mode that is not in use by the contest.  For example, going to 20 phone
and trying to get somebody in the Eastern Washington Organ Failure Net to
come down to CW and give you a QSO.  Or trying to get stations on 17 meters
to move to 20 for you.  If the EWOFN meets on CW, though, your interpersonal
skills may be employed to eke a contact out of an unsuspecting
non-participant - one of the rarely mentioned great pleasures of contesting.

73, Ward N0AX