[CQ-Contest] Dupes or Duped?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dupes or Duped?
From: "Paul Mackanos" <mackanos@rpa.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:57:03 -0500
Well, nice thread going on here, I like it. I haven't worked CQWWCW in
years, due to it being on the Thanksgiving week-end, family obligations,
etc. This year, at the last minute, some changes and bingo, I can go work
CQWWCW, my favorite contest. I decided that I would try out the new
equipment and antennas, and that I would do something really different, just
work the spots, get in the pile-ups and see what I could do no CQ's. Well,
it worked pretty good, had over 1000 Q's ended up with over 1.3 million and
10 DUPES. Why 10 dupes, it's because many OP's either have FAT FINGERS and
spot the wrong CALLSIGN or cannot copy the code and think they have copied
the right call sign. The reason for the dupes is also the station I worked
did not identify his call sign after each QSO, so he would came back QSO B4,
I would say no, and he would work me again, then I would get his call sign,
and BINGO, he was in my log and was a dupe, I was the guy who did not wait
long enough to copy his call sign b4 I called him. No harm done, I wasn't
out to win, just to have fun and play.

If you are assisted and use the clusters to play, be sure you check out the
call sign being spotted, I am sure many guys and gals have qso's in their
logs that are not who they think they worked.

CW the only mode and you can really copy CW if you can work the entire
CQWWCW test, tune up and down all the bands and NOT nave to listen to any
station TWICE or more to get his info.

So I have 10 dupes and should not have had any (remember, I called THEM) -
and it just doesn't matter, I had a ball and most importantly - I had fun,
giggled when I worked a dupe and remembered - it's just a hobby, one of the
BEST hobbies in the world!

Paul K2DB