Re: [CQ-Contest] Adding MS-DOS to a WindowsXP Computer

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Adding MS-DOS to a WindowsXP Computer
From: Mark Bailey <kd4d@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:52:07 -0500

Bill Turner wrote:
> [...]

Hi Bill:

There is no DOS with XP (unless you mean the ability to create a
recovery floppy and reboot with that?).

WindowsXP offers the ability to open a "Command Prompt" window which
will run some command line programs.  It specifically won't run
any DOS program that accesses the serial or parallel port, like
the contest logging programs CT and TR.  It also introduces
timing problems.  And, it is certainly not DOS, just a command
interpreter running on top of WindowsXP.

Many programs do run fine in that environment, but not the ones I
use!  :-)

73,

Mark