Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut number for "3"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut number for "3"
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 08:12:04 -0500
At 08:00 PM 12/1/06, Tree wrote:
>Leigh, KR6X writes:
>
> > VV is the commonly accepted cut number abbreviation for 33.
>
>I hadn't ever heard this before, but I did some research on the web and
>found this page that lists cut numbers for morse code numbers:
>
>http://www.ac6v.com/morseaids.htm#AB
>
>According to this - the cut number for 3 is "W".

Well, I'll have to admit that I've never heard of a '5' being cut as
an 'S' as indicated in that table. Of course with the Internet, there
are so many places to pick supporting evidence from:
<http://www.qsl.net/zs1an/contesting_faq.html#cut-numbers>

Nevertheless, there are clearly multiple cut number variants that are
employed by various entities for their internal use, e.g.
<http://www.cvni.net/radio/nsnl/nsnl011/nsnl11morse.html>.

The lack of universality is perhaps one reason cut numbers are
avoided by those whose intentions are clarity in addition to sheer brevity.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu