[CQ-Contest] Random acts of kindness, Unassisted Categories, Rules,etc.

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Random acts of kindness, Unassisted Categories, Rules,etc.
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:58:03 -0800
How many times have you called or read a 3830 posting in which the story is
related about calling "CQ, looking especially for North Dakota" only to have
a North Dakota (or whoever you are looking for) come back? It does happen
occasionally. Those times are "highlight" times, one of the things you
contest for. It makes you pump your fist and let out a "YEAH, BABY!"

I know in SS Phone two weeks ago, I was VY2TT and on the 2nd radio heard a
station comment, "I just need Maritime for a sweep." It was a highlight for
me to hear that, call the station and give him his sweep. Yes, it does
happen.

OTOH, on Sunday afternoon, needing one section for the sweep, I have
programmed my CQ message to indicate the need. I admit to hoping that if a
station in that section doesn't happen by, I might be the beneficiary of a
"random act of kindness." And yes, that has happened. And yes, I have acted
on it. And yes, I have submitted my log as "unassisted" or not as
"unlimited." That is part of the "buzz" of the Sweepstakes contest.

And, BECAUSE THAT IS CLEARLY ALLOWED BY THE RULES. If I haven't used packet,
if I don't have another operator in the shack, if I haven't solicited the
QSO by non amateur means DURING THE CONTEST, I AM A SINGLE OPERATOR!!!

I have never done this, but if I set up a schedule for a specific time and
specific frequency by telephone BEFORE the contest with a VY1, VO1 and W0 in
ND and worked them per the sked, I would still be a single operator
UNASSISTED according to the ARRL Sweepstakes rules. If you want to get the
rules changed, fine. If you want to play by your own, more limiting set of
rules, fine. But the rules are what they are and as they stand, in
Sweepstakes, you can act on "random acts of kindness." You can make
telephone skeds before the contest. And you are still considered single op
unassisted.

Would I ever send "CQ, looking for Tristan Da Cunha" in CQWW? Of course not.
It is not part of the buzz of that contest. But if I did and got a "random
act of kindness" and acted on it, according to the rules I would still be
unassisted.

Anyone can change their SS CQ message to indicate a need and hope for a
"random act of kindness." Since anyone can do it, how can it be said to be
unfair? If your own personal ethics prohibit your doing this, that is your
own personal interpretation of the rules. That doesn't make it unfair.
Obviously, I have no problem with this. OTOH, I once needed a section for a
sweep with an hour to go in SS and decided I wanted the sweep cup more than
I wanted to enter the "B" category. I turned on packet, found the section
spotted, made the sweep and entered my log as Unlimited. And I won the
Unlimited category that year. And I have no problem with that result either.

Flame suit on and I don't care.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT