Re: [CQ-Contest] Another angle on assisted versus "being helped"

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Another angle on assisted versus "being helped"
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:49:39 -0600
Hi Tree,

While I can certainly agree with the thrust of what you're saying, a
question:

It's 3 p.m. on Sunday and you hear in passing the J is five khz above you
(say 14.285). He's the only guy you know of in NT on the air and his pileup
is good enough that he stays on that same frequency for the remainder of the
contest.

Your run peters out about an hour later. You tune down the band and snag a
VO1, no. 79. You tune up the band picking off S&P hits hoping to find
another frequency to try a run. You even detour to 40 for a bit and work a
few more guys there.

You go up to 15 and see it's dead so you come back to 20. You tune around
and hear VY1JA. No. 80.

You're just about to call him when it dawns on you: he's on the same
frequency he was when the random act of kindness was visited upon you.

Do ya work 'im?

If yes, then at what point does the "assistance" expire?

If no, then is it really fair that your kind caller at 3 p.m. gets to deny
you a sweep? (Evil devil's advocate mode on: couldn't that then become a
strategy to deny rivals a sweep?)

73, kelly
ve4xt