Re: [CQ-Contest] Another angle on assisted versus "being helped"

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Another angle on assisted versus "being helped"
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:45:09 -0000

Now I'm confused. A few weeks ago I believe it was Ward N0AX who stated that
contacts could not be made using a mode not included in the contest for the
purposes of arranging contacts for the contest; for example... while
operating in a SSB contest, checking into a CW net to get stations to switch
to SSB for contest contacts. I assume you are referring to a multi-mode
contest.

> "Assisted" to me - means that someone - other than yourself -
> gave you information during the contest that told you
> specifically where a missing multiplier was.  You were given
> help in spotting.  This is exactly the same information that
> you would be given if you were watching packet.

"Assisted" to me is when you set out to be assisted, by connecting to a
spotting network or recruiting a legion of minions to cruise the bands
looking for mults for you. Again, it comes down to the rules, which only
mentions spotting networks... nothing else.

> The reason that we don't allow packet in "unassisted" is that
> many of us want to perserve a cateogry that rewards the
> operator for being able to find the missing multipliers
> efficiently.  We do not want this category to be diluted with
> people getting their clean sweeps with "help" from people on
> their frequency.
>
> Put yourself in this position of a hypothetical case - you
> work long and hard and you finally get within 15 QSOs of
> beating WP3R in the SS contest.  You spent 20 minutes of run
> time searching for a VO1 on 15 meters - and you found one -
> which cost you 20 QSOs.  On the other hand, WP3R had someone
> perform a random act of kindness and tell him where to find
> his last multiplier - so that he didn't have to sacrifice any
> of his run time to find it.
>
> How has that person not assisted him in spotting?
>
> Would you feel that this was fair?

I said it before and I'll say it again... radiosport is NOT fair.

But I must say I do like being one of the "wanted few" as a VO1 :)

73 -- Paul VO1HE