Re: [CQ-Contest] 15 minute log deadline

To: <vo1he@rac.ca>, "'Mark Beckwith'" <n5ot@n5ot.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 15 minute log deadline
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:49:57 -0600

> Would it be all that difficult for the contest logging programmers to
> program a button into their logging software that automatically sends the
> log to the appropriate sponsor immediately. They have features that get
> info
> FROM the web, such as rules, cluster spots, etc, so it could be easy
> enough
> to have a SUBMIT button that, once pressed, sends you log to the sponsor.
> Otherwise, you could have a feature built in that stops logging when the
> contest is over and submits the log automatically.

It wouldn't be difficult, but it would be undesirable.

1. Will the log checkers take into account all my CTRL-N notes to myself? If
not, then...

2. These are supposed to be a radio contests, not typing contests. I took
enough typing that many of my log entries are as clean as I can make them
without "post-contest scrubbing" (defined as using outside information to
verify exchange information (such as seeing a 3830 post and fixing a Q's
PREC to B or looking up an address on QRZ.com to get the guy's section). But
I don't think anyone should feel the slightest bit of compunction on
correcting typos obvious from the information already in the log. 1245vB
VE4XT 82 MNB to 1245 B VE4XT 82 MB. SXCV to SCV, ALK to AL and so forth.

(Oh, hold on a sec, the correct section is Santa Clara Valley, so if I only
log SCV, then I've got it wrong. Especially since on phone the op is likely
to have said "Santa Clara Valley". But what if he said Sugar Charlie Victor.
I guess I have to log what was sent, no? I guess if I'm running CT, which
only has room for the abbreviation, I'm screwed. But I digress)

3. Many of the stations we so dearly love to work would suddenly be
prohibited. I don't recall there being high-speed on 3Y0. For a number of
years, the operating position at WP3R did not even have A/C, let alone
internet access. (You'd have to prohibit such operations, because why should
one set of stations be held to a different standard than others?)

4. So much for rover stations in state QSO parties, eh? Oh, you want them to
have wireless broadband so they can submit instantly? So you only want
rovers to operate in densely populated areas that have wireless broadband,
then? Kinda defeats the purpose of roving to rare counties, no?

Contest sponsors set up their contests to appeal to more than just
contesters. Let's keep that in mind, shall we?

73, kelly
ve4xt