Re: [CQ-Contest] 15 minute log deadline

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 15 minute log deadline
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 13 Dec 2006 08:57:44 -0600
On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 06:59, Mark Beckwith wrote:
> I know it seems odd, but we still can't assume everyone is connected to the
> Internet at their radio station.  One day we may be able to make that
> assumption.

Or the Internet connection is not reliable.  I use dialup (there's a
monopoly for broadband at this QTH and the monopoly-holder charges
appropriately...) and it is not unusual for the modem to refuse to
connect for 5-10 minutes.

Though it *does* seem a bit strange that contest programmers haven't
included this as an *option*, given that some programs do include the
option of *downloading* information (.CTY files etc.) directly within
the program.

If for some reason we were to decide it's important to prevent changes
to one's entry after the contest ends, we could have the contest program
create a signed binary file (ala LotW), time-stamped, and give the
entrant 7-30 days to send that file in.

Of course, that would make it impossible to fix errors in your program's
interpretation of the file standard...  (the many Cabrillo entries that
get rejected due to minor errors in the headers or the absence of the
transmitted exchange field etc.)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66