Re: [CQ-Contest] U vs. A es Outside the Box

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] U vs. A es Outside the Box
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:50:15 -0800
On Dec 19, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Matt & Carrie wrote:

> Doug researched:
> -----------------
> PART I.
>
> WHY DO  YOU USE ASSISTANCE IF STATS SHOW IT USUALLY RESULTS IN A
> LOWER SCORE
> THAN UNASSISTED?
>
> 1.  It is easier to win my category
> 2.  It is easier to place in the top ten
> 3.  It is easier to get a sweep
> 4.  I am only looking for new ones
> 5.  I helps my club get a bigger score
> 6.  It is easier to get recognition
> 7.  It is easier to compete against other SOA/UNLIMITED guys
> ------------------
> I think points (1) and (6) are important to ponder. I know of a
> number in
> the ‘hood who get on in a category where they think they have a
> good chance
> of winning a section award. I am assuming in (1) above that winning
> doesn’t
> just mean taking the national trophy. As we analyze this we can
> surmise that
> combining “assisted” and “non-assisted” might demotivate some from
> operating.

Good point.  I have received several certificates over the years
where it just turned out that there was little or no competition in
the category entered, even though my score was quite low,
particularly when entering in single-band and/or QRP categories.
It's not that I was really after wallpaper, but it just turned out
that way.  The first contest I entered was as a 14-year-old new
General in the 1953 CQWW-Phone and I "won" the W6 SB-15 certificate
with only 676 points.  After that, I was hooked!  I enter some
contests in the assisted category and others unassisted, but I don't
put a lot of thought into it--I'm not super-competitive, just having
fun!

I also like point #4.  I specifically went SO-A in the recent CQWW,
as I figured it would be my best chance to bag the 5A--it worked.

73 - Bob, N7XY (W6SWE in a previous life)