[CQ-Contest] U vs. A es Outside the Box

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] U vs. A es Outside the Box
From: "Matt & Carrie" <superfly@tetonwireless.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:05:28 -0700
Doug researched:
-----------------
PART I.

WHY DO  YOU USE ASSISTANCE IF STATS SHOW IT USUALLY RESULTS IN A LOWER SCORE
THAN UNASSISTED?

1.  It is easier to win my category
2.  It is easier to place in the top ten
3.  It is easier to get a sweep
4.  I am only looking for new ones
5.  I helps my club get a bigger score
6.  It is easier to get recognition
7.  It is easier to compete against other SOA/UNLIMITED guys
------------------
I think points (1) and (6) are important to ponder. I know of a number in
the ‘hood who get on in a category where they think they have a good chance
of winning a section award. I am assuming in (1) above that winning doesn’t
just mean taking the national trophy. As we analyze this we can surmise that
combining “assisted” and “non-assisted” might demotivate some from
operating.

Let’s look at how this COULD affect SS. There are 80 section certificates up
for grabs in the Assisted category. If the category goes away, we COULD
possibly see 80 fewer participants assuming only one Assisted entry vying
for the certificate per section. Let’s say there are three assisted entrants
per section competing for wallpaper. That would make 240 entrants who are
now grouped in with the other ~1000 competing for LP and HP wallpaper.
Combining the two categories could demotivate a bunch of guys (and you
thought Sunday was slow NOW?), not to mention the unassisted who could
conceivably throw in the towel refusing to fly fish with anything but a
bamboo rod.

Now I am not neccessarily advocating what I am about to type here, but
pondering Doug’s survey here makes me realize for the first time why it
might be a good idea to have MORE categories. I am not much of a “trophy
gatherer” or paper chaser and that is not what motivates me to operate, but
apparently it is a prime motivator for many. Given that that is the case it
makes sense to have more categories to promote activity in the contests!

I guess I am an absurdist by nature, but thinking outside the box, consider
this: What if there were not only section awards, but Grid Square awards or
even County Awards for example. We could see huge increases in the number of
stations on in SS for example. Some guys would try to have the record in as
many counties as they could, by expeditioning to a new county every year.
The county hunters would love us. I am not posturing that the SS exchange
should change in any way. I am just brainstorming that the grid square or
county could be noted when the log is submitted.

Okay, I know, that’s a lot of certificates, but it’s all within the realm of
possibilities. No?

A happy Yuletide to all
de a vacationing K7BG and the worst propagation of the year!