Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 08:31:28 -0800

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Bill Coleman wrote:

> I don't know where this study came from,
<snip>
> I can't imagine what 48 hours at 40 degrees would be like.

The Professor may have "skewed" his date a bit, but doubtful he intended a 48
hour contest "mental activity" duration.  However, perhaps the humidty factor
plays a big part in this as well ???

> Certainly being too warm is a problem, but if you are sitting in a 40
> degree room, you won't be able to concentrate because you'll be
> shivering!

When K9AJ and I were on IOTA NA-178 last February, the temperature was mostly
in the low 40's. This was not tank top & shorts wx, and we had to stay pretty
well bundled-up with warm clothing and jackets.  But I personally loved the
temperature for two days (except when the wind chill factor ratched things
downward).  I frequently drive with my sunroof/moonroof open in the Winter
because I like cool/cold air.

I also recall reading something about a common "marital problem" if one spouse
always wanted the inside temperature warm and the other needed it cold.   Umh,
one "potential" new wife I dated briefly was *always* cold (which is one reason
we never walked down the aisle :-)  It' s much easier to put on extra clothing
to get warm than it is to try and cool off if the wx is hot. It all boils down
to is what "operating temperature range" works best for each operator.

73...

Rick, K6VVA