Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting in 10 years

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting in 10 years
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 19:08:47 -0800
Today I found myself at the Candy Store (HRO) in Sunnyvale for a while, and
talked with 3 hams who were there.  Unfortunately, none were not CW ops ;-(
The youngest one in his 20's was twiddling with the FT-2000 Demo, so when I
took my turn, he listened as I dialed in on the FOC Marathon CW activity on
20m.  When I suggested approaching code as though it were "Music", he seemed to
perk up.  I gave him a pitch about Contesting and the URL for our NCCC website
and my callsign,  since I {sigh} did indicate that SSB contesting is an option
from Mutli-Op stations for non-CW ops like himself currently in apartments.  He
said it was pretty tough operating in general with an Icom 706 to an indoor
Hamstick.  Do ya think?

As I was on the long drive home, a troubling thought came to mind.

Now that the FCC has dropped the code requirements, if there is an avalanche
influx of new SSB ops on the bands, as years go by, I caught a glimpse of the
*possibilities* of "CW" being squashed into maybe only the bottom 25Khz of each
band (to make room for all the no code SSB ops who will probably complain about
the excessive QRM in the phone band segments).  Perish the thought, but we
should be prepared for such an eventuality.

One solution would be for more CW Contesters to get into SO2R (even with an
indoor Hamstick on one band :-)  And, of course, to start allowing Dupes in the
future on a graduated basis to offset any major decreases in overall operator
activity when circumstances may require such action.

In the meantime, let's all have as much Contesting fun as we can until
collective Auto-CQing produces fewer and fewer results.

-------

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, DL8MBS wrote:

I had previously written:

> > <sorry_this_is_a_fully_automated_station_so_I_can't_answer_your_question_right_now.wav>
> >  :-)

Chris, DL8MBS, replied:

> Interesting perspective... How about adding systems of some
> "service"-hotlines that we may only need to say  "One" to get the serial
> number again from the automated station, say "Two" to get the suffix
> again and so on. "Cut numbers" for phone.
> Also :-) and 73, Chris

That's pretty funny, Chris!

-------

I had also previously written:

Oliver Dröse (callsign unknown), wrote:

> Is it? Me gets rather fast fatigue if just sitting in front of the radio
> pressing buttons and not being "actively involved" myself and I'm just 31 yet!
> ;-)) That's why I switch off the voice keyer from time to time and call CQ by
> myself ...

At 31 I would have probably been somewhat bored pushing buttons too.  Wait
another 30 years
and let me know what you think then!  In the interim, any combination of "live"
and "automated" is totally permissible :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA