[CQ-Contest] Maximum Time Limit for S/O

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Maximum Time Limit for S/O
From: "Jamie Dupree NS3T" <ns3t@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:06:19 -0500
Leave the 48 hours in place.  Some contests have 48, some have less.
The DX contests are the ultimate challenge and should have the roughest time
limit.

BUT If you want to develop a handicap system like in golf or bowling, go for it.
Until then though, we are playing in a scratch league.  Some weekends there
are 27 holes, others there are 72.  Some days you bowl 3 games, other
times you bowl 12.  If you like 24 hours, there's the IARU.  If you like
something in between there is WPX.  If you want something different,
find a weekend and create a new contest with some new time limits.
We've seen how popular the sprints and NAQP's have become.

Personally, I think the 48 hour time limit really separates the winners from
the pretenders.  If you really want to win a DX contest, you'll find a way to
clear out your
weekend.  And if you really want to win, you will grind your way through the
slow times to victory.  You have to WANT it.

Life is not all about huge runs all day and all night long.  I love making
birdies
when I play golf, but sometimes the thrill is gritting your teeth and making
tough pars as well...just like it's a thrill to find that extra mult because you
decided to stay up all night....while the other guy turned off the rig because
his rate was getting low.

73 NS3T