[TenTec] Omni V vs. TS850

To: tentec@contesting.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V vs. TS850
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:30:07 -0800 (PST)
I may be in the market soon for an older (1990s)
contest quality rig, and wonder how the Kenwood TS850
compares to the Ten Tec Omni V overall.  Anyone have a
chance to compare these 2?

The QST review for the Omni V put it, the TS850, the
Yaesu FT990, and the Icom 765 at the same level.  I
hear that the FT990 has a crucial part no longer
supported by Yaesu, and the Icom 765 seems to go for
more than these others, which is why I am looking at
either the Kenwood or Ten Tec.

I had a TS850 briefly in the past and loved it.  I
really like the fact that it has a built in memory
keyer, and voice keyer option, and is smaller than the
Onmi 5, but how do the 2 really compare
performancewise?

73s John W5TD