Re: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX contest

To: "D K7GK" <k7gk@hotmail.com>, <guy_molinari@hotmail.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX contest
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 00:26:01 +0500
> I would have to respectfully disagree with Igor UA9CDC that RDXC is more
fun
> from PNW than ARRL is from UA9C. Admittedly, I haven't done ARRL from
UA9C,
> but I've done it from UR and UA3, and in my experience it's more fun. The
> reason is that in ARRL US stations can only work DX and when the path is
> open, they typically answer your call. The situation is very different in
> Russian DX, especially at the bottom of the cycle.
> 73, Denis - K7GK

UA9 is pretty different from UA3. Just check the path from these 3 countries
to the US. To prove that I put down  here last year results of 3 more or
less equally equipped stations.
UR is even better. Some people managed almost 1000 QSO from there on 40m
alone

Call                        points    QSO    Mult
RG9A                    201135  583  115
UA9CDC               185460  562  110
RD3A                    768924 1378  186

This year was even worse. With better setup then last year I managed  63
less QSO. The total operating time was about 17 hours out of 48. That
includes some hours with 2-3 QSO only. The rest of the time there were no
conditions at all on ANY band.
What differ RDXC from ARRL is that you are not confined to working  Russia
only. There is huge pull of EU stations and JA as well. If there are more
participants from the US and Canada you can work them. Besides Russia itself
is 9 time zones.
No doubt it will be more fun at the peak of the sunspot cycle but in the
mean time there is also a way to make it more interesting by having more
participants from your own and neighboring countries.
BTW Ukrainian DX Contest adopted the same format as RDXC and now it is
quickly growing contest.  I only wish they maintain  contest web site of a
quality similar to RDXC.

73, Igor UA9CDC