Re: [CQ-Contest] ...are you changing your log

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ...are you changing your log
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:03:42 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Quoting from the ARRL Source that N0AX stated:

"Furthermore, it is generally OK to make a quick pass through the log
immediately after the contest looking for "obvious" typos such as entering CT
as CTT or changing 'o' to '0' "

Personally, I disagree with the statement in this otherwise fine document that
such "obvious typos" scan can only be done "immediately" after the contest.
When the contest is over, I am toast, and go to bed.  I do my "obvious typos"
scan usually Tuesday or Wednesday night after work and with good recovery sleep
back in my system.  Since the contest deadline is 30 days after the contest, I
think that that qualifies as "immediately" in post-contest time.

In my opinion, the contest sponsors should drastically reduce the post-contest
time (7 days max sounds good to me).

Getting back to J7OJ.  Obviously, if someone didn't even think about that
possibility before reading here, then it isn't an "obvious typo" anymore.
Since the o vs. 0 example is even used in the ARRL Q & A, it would pretty hard
to claim that scanning your log and seeing J70J and then J7oj wouldn't qualify
for "obvious typo status".

So, if you hadn't even thought about J7OJ et al before reading CQ-Contest
posts, then it wasn't an "obvious typo" possibility to you.  If you are already
inclined to look for such things prior to reading these posts, change away, its
an "obvious typo" as specifically referred to in the ARRL Q & A.

You just better do it "immediately".

Thanks for all the Qs.  I had fun.

N1UR  (log submitted.  no 0 vs. o typos to report.  back to net)