[CQ-Contest] Quality of Sound Cards?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Quality of Sound Cards?
From: Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:44:33 -0500
Hi Eric,

The M-Audio Delta 44 is a great sound card.  However it does lack a mixer
and mic preamp.  That makes it difficult to configure Digital Voice Keying
and soundcard output levels.  Your purpose, QSO recording might also be
difficult.  I have one for about a year now and I've been able to do
everything I wanted with it.  I finally went back to my Santa Cruz.

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the code!"

From: Eric Rosenberg

When I upgraded the shack computer from a P3 to a P4 (a 1.6 GHz IBM
NetVista), I didn't swap the (Soundblaster 16 PCI) sound card.  Instead I am
using the one built-in to the new computer.

My station is a HEil Proset feeding an Orion. I use Writelog.

I made a "recording on the fly" through the during the contest last weekend,
and the results were sub-par, certainly when compared to the recording I
made directly into the radio.

My questions:

- Is this a software configuration (i.e., how Writelog records) issue?

- Will the old sound card back sound better than the built-in one (i.e., are
there greater and lesser than equal sound cards)?  If so, is the Audio Delta
44 Audio Card ($159) that the SDR-1000 uses worth the investment?

73 & Thanks,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC