Re: [CQ-Contest] [WriteLog] [NCCC] TXRX of the Future is here Now!

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [WriteLog] [NCCC] TXRX of the Future is here Now!
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:13:08 -0800
Rick, N6RK, wrote:

> latency is a showstopper for contesting, if you do it over the
> internet  (I don't know about point to point links).

Fellow NCCCer Rick, N6RK, has been extremely helpful to me in understanding
some of the nuances of remote operations.  His 160m signal from Galt is
becoming Legendary, of course!

That being said, it's time for me to make another pitch for the AIRAYA
point-to-point (5Ghz Wireless Bridge) gear that my ISP uses (
http://www.airaya.com ).

On short hauls of 5 miles or less, the potentials are for around 1ms of latency
!!!  My understanding is that with parabolic antennas, one might be able to
still end up with less than 15 to 20ms latency on a 28 mile hop.  That's a BIG
difference vs. Internet which we know especially sucks for high speed CW
Contesting.

I have a pair of new AIRAYA units sitting on the floor in the box, and I'm
chomping at the bit to try and get my own remote site stuff finally pulled
together here.

For those with TS-480 rigs, there are some exciting new developments for remote
operation at:  http://www.w4mq.com (Tnx to N5ZC for the turn-on).

73...

Rick, K6VVA