Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Operations in Contest

To: <sawyered@earthlink.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Operations in Contest
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:07:16 -0000

Hi Ed,

I believe I do see the difference which is why I am speaking out against it.
So far, no one has given me a sufficient reason to cause me to change my
thinking on the subject. Saying that progress is inevitable and we should
all just bow down to it is not 'remotely' good enough.

I am not looking at this as a purely technological issue but that seems to
be the thinking out there so I have to argue those points while my main
point gets overwhelmed.

I am not against remote operation because of the technology. Actually, I am
not against remote operation in principle. I just don't like where it's
headed because it just isn't what I believed the true focus of amateur radio
was. My view, and what I was led to believe when I first got interested in
it, is that we use our skills to invent, improve and use methods that will
enable us to talk directly to other people in other countries around the
world. I want to work "people in foreign lands". I want to know that when I
work a VU7, he's in the Laccadives or when I work a YB1, he's in Indonesia.
I sometimes want to work a N1 in Vermont and if you are in Vermont using a
remote radio that is in Vermont, then I have accomplished my goal. I DO NOT
want to work an N1 in Vermont who is operating a remote radio in, and
claiming to be a, KH7. I DO NOT want to work a VE7 who claims to be a VK7
while sitting in beautiful, downtown Kamloops. To me, that's just not in
keeping with the spirit of the hobby.

I had a reply from one amateur (I'm sure you must have seen it) who
indicated that humans were unnecessary to the operation of amateur radio and
that he didn't care if he worked a human at all. If that's you're idea of
amateur radio, then I suggest it is you who needs a new hobby.

73 -- Paul VO1HE