Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] RULES CLARIFICATION FOR UNIQUEREMOTECONTESTING O

To: "'Jim Brown K9YC'" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"'Contest'" <contest@arrl.org>, "'Eric Hilding'" <dx35@hilding.com>,"'Hogerty, Tom KC1J'" <thogerty@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] RULES CLARIFICATION FOR UNIQUEREMOTECONTESTING OPERATIONS
From: "K6XN" <k6xn@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:16:04 -0800
Jim, K9YC, raises an issue of considerable importance to me and I think many
others as well. My remote mountain top transmitter location at 5000 feet
elevation in the Sierras is approximately 165 air miles distant from my home
QTH here in the Bay area. I am also interested in any limitations on
distances the control point can be from the transmitter. I am in a situation
similar to many others wherein it will entail a substantial effort and cost
(which I am prepared to incur if the resulting setup can be used in
contests) to set up a remote control system from the Bay Area for a station
located on a mountain top in the Sierras. My remote transmitter location is
in an area without commercial power, without telephone lines, and without
any paved roads. Effort is required to do just about anything up there...but
it is beautiful up there and worth it :-). The radio equipment, towers,
antennas and solar power systems are already installed after years of
considerable effort. What remains is to complete the remote control system.
Bottom line, I appreciate Jim's concern and his question and I look forward
to clarification as well. What I think I am hearing is that there is *no*
ARRL sanctioned/authorized contest limit on the distance between the
location of the control operator and the entire station if the entire
station itself is located within a 500 meter limit. Thanks again and 73,
Ted, K6XN

PS I have only been out of a wheel chair for about a year after my recent
injuries, surgeries, multiple skin grafts etc and its getting harder for
some of we crippled old farts to make it to interesting locations for
contests as we get older and decompose :-) I am probably good for a few more
years of six hour trips each way for contests (including 4 wheel drive on
dirt/mud forest service roads) but I would like to continue to use my remote
contesting location (and also allow others to use it) after I can no longer
physically make the trips. I can also accept Jim Neiger's "let dog eat dog"
contesting approach as well but from a purely selfish perspective these days
I like the idea of being able to build and use a remotely controlled contest
station and to allow other contesters to use it. I preferred Jim Neiger's
approach when I was younger :-) Best regards from Ted,K6XN, a decomposing,
crippled old fart selfish "rookie" contester :-)