Re: [CQ-Contest] RULES CLARIFICATION FOR UNIQUE REMOTE CONTESTINGOPERATI

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RULES CLARIFICATION FOR UNIQUE REMOTE CONTESTINGOPERATIONS
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:01:06 -0800
Albert, F5VHJ, wrote:

> However, it also opens " Pandora box" as to whether  a "station" is really
> within the country as claimed. Since there is no way to prove a "remote"
> station was on in the country as claimed,

But Albert, even without the "remote control" issue involved, how do we know
for sure that you were physically operating your 6W1RY station on land in
Senegal vs. being on a fancy yacht in the ocean off the coast, sipping on cool
ones while you had sophisticated robotics completely operating the station
onboard with phased vertical dipoles all over the boat benefiting from the nice
conductivity of the salt water beneath?  We don't.  Just as there has always
been speculation as to whether or not certain "DX-Peditions" actually took
place from land vs. onboard ship.  For some, we may never know for sure.

Until such future time as all Contest participants are required to be logged
into to a Sponsor's contest-specific database and software for the duration of
the contest, with Non-spoofable, verifiable satellite QTH tracing/monitoring
capabilites and the monitoring of output power RF actually used, it still boils
down to the "Honor System".  Sadly, we will always have the cheaters whether
remote control is involved or not.

However, the basic Laws of the Universe provide for dealing with cheaters who
(probably not understanding this), set themselves up for "Cosmic Payback" at
some point down the line.  This may be in the form of a lightning strike which
fries all their equipment, or some other "acts of nature" or personal calamity,
but there will *always* end up being a Cosmic Payback against wrong deeds or
violation of the "Honor System".  So, we really don't need to worry about
"Policing" things, 'cuz the "Cosmic Police Force" is always on duty.  That's
just the way things work.

For decades many commercial FM & TV stations have operated "remotely" with
transmitters & antennae up on big mountaintop somewhere with studios & the
"remote control" point being in a city (via an STL - Studio Transmitter Link,
etc.). This remote control stuff is really not any big deal when it comes right
down to it.

73...

RIck, K6VVA