Re: [CQ-Contest] If you were buying a new contest radio today...

To: "Barry" <w2up@mindspring.com>, "frc" <frc@gofrc.org>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] If you were buying a new contest radio today...
From: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 00:59:43 -0400
Hi Barry,

I have an MP-1000 here and just purchased a very cherry icom 756 pro II as a
second radio.      No expensive filters to buy with the icom, the twin
peaking filter for RTTY runs circles around everything else out there.  The
pro II also includes   6 meters.  The 6 meter band is new to me, so new that
my my 6M beam is not here yet. The icom has the panaramic scope, very handy
for contests, easy to tell if 6, 10  12 or 15 meters is open at a glance or
where the pileups are . I have always felt the MP-1000 had low audio. MP did
not work well with my bose noise cancelling phones.   Another area in which
the PRO II excels is the loud audio.  You will not be able to stay in the
shack if you turn the audio all the way up.  This is important to me as my
hearing is not nearly as good as it was 30 year ago.  I initally purchased
the pro II as a 2nd radio but it has rapidly become my main radio.  I bring
my MP-1000 to W3PP when I operate multi multi up there.  the MP works well
in a multi multi atmosphere.  I haven't had the PRO II  long enough to know
how the pro II plays in a multi multi environment.  I notice that K3LR is an
all ICOM station but I don't know specifically which radios they are using.

Downside to the PRO II .......The feature I liked most about the mp-1000 is
the 2nd receiver which the icom lacks.  I bought the mp and then had to add
about 800 bux worth of filters and most recently bought the inrad roofing
filter for it.   .In side by side comparisons, the PRO II and MP-1000
receivers seemed equal. when listening to the 9m4 spratley expedition last
month which was very weak at this qth.  You do need to buy a 12V power
supply  for the ICOM.

For a few dollars more, After using the PRO II,  I'd buy the PRO III which
is a newer and improved version of the PRO II.  The .New ICOM pro III
reportedly has an even  better roofing filter and 5 mhz and 6 meter
capability built in

I hear good things about the ORION on recieve.  I also hear it has a stiff
learning curve and  I know  that one high profile PVRC'er  has had major
problems  that required  a couple of  trips back to the factory. One concern
about the Orion is it's "reliability".  That would be a major factor for me
if I only had one radio.

Still using my W2UP rotating loop on 160 which I built after seeing it on
your web site.

my .02 cents worth

73

Chet  N4FX