Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier
From: "Bauer, Scott" <scott.bauer@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:05:14 -0400
My 2 cents

I do not think DC should be a multiplier, MDC sounds just fine to me.
Do the contest sponsors bow to the wishes of 4 or 5 people ?  No.
Split-up of the Maritimes - I didn't care for that either, but really
don't care.  West Central Florida - I thought that was pretty lame,
still do, no offense to WCF intended, I guess they have their reasons
that I do not understand.

And I live in New York:  Why does NY have 4 sections ?   NLI I can
understand;   WNY, ENY I understand ... maybe, (it is a long drive from
Buffalo to Albany);  NNY my understanding is now getting a bit fuzzy,
but I know why the guys like NNY being its own section, it is definitely
geographically different and isolated and the "North Country" as we call
it certainly is not main stream NY.  No offense to NNY intended.  But
the same applies to many other states that could claim some unique
situation as NNY and DC.  Maybe this means DC is OK, but then the
section flood gates may open.

On the other hand Ohio, Michigan are both single sections.  Maybe we
need Northern and Southern Michigan, makes sense to me, and East and
West Ohio, ugh don't like that.  Colorado, you have a point too, East
and West Colorado divided at the Rocky Mountains, something like EWA and
WWA.  And a Las Vegas section too, now that certainly is a different
kind of place.  Indian reservations for DX entities, why not, they are
sovereign nations right ?

I propose that Central New York become a new section, based on lots of
snow and really cold weather, we could call it "SnowLand" abbreviation
for contest "SL". Or maybe Snowy New York "SNY".  I like SnowLand
myself.  Where else can you get 300 inches or snow each winter and 30
below zero ?  All right a couple other places.  How about "Central
Northern New York", now that is where it gets really cold, so cold you
have to use heated dip sticks (oil heaters) in your car at night, you've
all heard of Old Forge, Lake Placid etc... Right ?  Turn on the weather
channel in February.  Central Northern New York, reminds me of WCF.  Hi,
:-), a joke, really !

I do not see a proliferation of sections to be beneficial to contesting.
Say we go to 100 sections for Sweepstakes (see some of my more serious
suggestions above) getting a clean sweep probably goes away, as do the
mugs.  Scores go up even if activity does not.  We all get to set some
new records for a year or two.  I can play "Section DX" from Syracuse
NY, that might amuse me for a contest or two.  Same I fear for DC as a
section.  After a contest or two the interest and activity goes to zero.
NNY is active DC is not.

I have heard "Thanks for New York" many many times in the Sprint.  A
couple guys from the midwest even remind me to get on, thank you.  Now
if New York State is rare in some contests (with 50,000 hams, my guess),
how rare do you think DC would be with 400 ?  Even if there is a
justification, what about for the good of the contest ?  Ever try to
work DC from New York on 10 meters ?  It might be easy from Colorado but
not from here.  I usually work 6-10 NNYs each year in SS though.

My apologies to DC, WCF and NNY for picking on you.

Ok my rambling is done !  73 Scott W2LC