[CQ-Contest] Going in Circles

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Going in Circles
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:50:28 +0000
Pete's suggestions make sense, however I don't think they address the problem
the PVRC had in last year's SS. Changing the size of the circle doesn't affect
the basic problem that no club can know who submitted a log with their club
named on it. The question is, who ultimately decides which score's are used for
the club competition? I don't see how the club could control it from their end.

When I get done with a contest effort and have my software generate a Cabrillo
log, one of the questions asked is "What is your contest club?". I could put
anything in there....PVRC, NCCC, MWA, SMC...and none of the officers or other
members of that club would know. No one would know who sent a log in and
declared their points for a club. After the results are published it would be
possible to obtain a list of calls from the ARRL database for their contests.

I hesitate to add anything to workload of the log checking volunteers of the
world, but would it be possible to cross-check submitted logs against a list
submitted by a club prior to the contest? This would be similar to the
procedure used for team competitions in the NAQP or Sprint contests. An
annually submitted list would discriminate agaisnt a new member that joins
during a contest "season" so perhaps this ould be done for each contest that a
club wishes to participate in.

Thoughts?

73 Steve K0SR